From Golf to Cattle in Under an Hour

The other day I was on the 8th hole of the course I play on when my phone started to ring.  I normally turn the phone to silent but I had forgotten to do so that day.  I was going to simply going to send the call to voice mail but noticed that it was Gigi calling and thought it might involve an emergency so I answered it.  While it fortunately didn’t involve a person, it was an emergency involving one of their cows which had birthed a calf in January.

I told her that I would come to help right after finishing one more hole, which would take about 20 minutes (which almost sounds like part of a golf joke).  As it turned out I had some time to respond as Hugh Leigh had gone back to their house from where the cow that was having the trouble was to get equipment to help get the cow upright in case she fell over.

I got another call from Gigi with an update about a conversation she had with the vet they use with instructions to give the cow some high potency calcium for cows before coming up to the pasture where the cow was located.

One factor that complicates matters is that Hugh Leigh refuses to own a cell phone so once he starts on an errand or chore one has to simply wait for him to get back home to contact him.  So I had to make sure to catch up with him while he was at his home to give him the instructions about the calcium and to offer my help.

I did find him at home trying to contact the vet and filled him in on what Gigi had found out and what we needed to get.  However, as I had gone directly to his house from the course I needed to go home and change into gear my appropriate for cowboying than golfing.  Once home my wife asked if she was needed and when HL said sure, off we went.

HL did explain as we were going to the pasture that what may have happened is that the cow had come back into heat and the bull might have tried to mount her but with weakened back legs hurt herself.  The calcium would strengthen the bones and help her stay on her feet.

The good news is that Gigi, who had stayed with the cow and calf to know where they were on the 300+ acres when we got there with the supplies, was there to meet us and that the cow was still standing although very wobbly.

We did get some of the calcium into her by putting some on her food and even with 4 of us trying to hold the cow it would be almost impossible to get the tube of calcium into her mouth as she was standing and would try to get away from us.

With no need of attempting to get a fallen cow out of the woods using a rope and the John Deere Gator to tow the cow (or worse out of mini-ravine), we called it a day and went back to our normal routines.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s